To mention the Dental Courses after 12th, there are diploma level courses, bachelor level courses, master’s level courses, and doctorate level courses available to pursue in India. Aspiring students can apply for any dental course, from the available dental courses after 12th mentioned in the article after completing 12th in science stream.
Dental Courses after 12th:
One of the important branches of medicine is the dental field. This particular medical field offers a variety of dental courses after 12th from diploma level to Ph.D. level. There are many specialized branches available in dentistry at the undergraduate level as well as the post-graduate level. Other than the dental field science and management field also offers healthcare courses.
The following table contains all the available dental courses after 12th:
List of dental courses:
List of dental courses & specialize dental branches to pursue after 12th:
A BDS graduate deals in the field of drug development, clinical research, etc.
A BDS graduate in General Surgery deals with problems like denture & dental surgery. Treat gum related problems, etc.
BDS in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery graduates can work as consultants, dental assistants, dental hygienists & lab technicians.
Orthodontists deals with uneven positioning of teeth & improper jaws.
A Prosthodontist can fix or replace the broken or lost tooth.
These Dentists are trained to handle dental equipment like Ct Scan, MRI, X-Rays, Pet Scan, etc.
Master of Science courses:
Doctorate level Dental Courses:
Top Dental colleges in India:
What is BDS?
BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) is a five years bachelor’s degree course after 12th followed by one year of internship to pursue after high school. To claim that the field of dental science is one of the popular as well as reputed courses in this medical field to pursue in India after MBBS.
BDS FULL FORM–> The term BDS Stands for Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
The governing body behind the degree of dental science is the DCI (Dental Council of India). Graduates need to register their name with the council before starting the practice as a dentist after completing graduation.
Many specializations are also available in dental science graduates can pursue.
As the course is of 5 years, in which the last year is for the internship. So, the syllabus of the remaining 4 academics years of the BDS course, consists of all the subjects mention below;
Subjects cover’s in 1st year of the BDS course:
Subjects cover’s in 2nd year of the BDS course:
Subjects cover’s in 3rd year of the BDS course:
Subjects cover’s in 4th year of the BDS course:
What is the starting salary of a BDS graduate?
Following are the salary packages a BDS graduate can earn based on their experience & qualification in the respective field.
- A fresh BDS graduate can earn from 3 lakhs to 4 lakhs per annum.
- Candidates having a bachelor’s dental degree & 6 to 8 years of experience can earn 5 lakhs to 8 lakhs per year.
- A post-graduate dental professional with skills & experience of 10 to 12 years, can earn around 9 lakhs to 12 lakhs a year.
- A Ph.D. holder in dental science can get a salary package of 10 lakhs to 20 lakhs per annum.
Which type of dentist gets paid the most?
Getting a high salary is solely depends upon the skill and experience a particular dentist has. In his/her specialization.
But it also depends on other factors like; the most common mouth problem people tend to have, e.g., uneven teeth, cavity problem, sensitive teeth, weak roots, etc.
Taking this most commonly occurring problem into consideration. The high paying dentists compare to other dental professionals are:
Dentists who deal with oral problems & treatment of children.
Dentists perform root canals & take care of gum hygiene.
Dentists who fix broken teeth & replace a lost tooth.
Dentists who fix uneven teeth alignment.
What is MDS?
The full form of MDS is Master of Dental Surgery or Master of Dental Science.
Master of Dental Surgery is a post-graduation level course. The duration of the course is of 3 years. In order to apply for a master’s program in the dental field or MDS, you should earn a bachelor’s degree first in dental science i.e., BDS (Bachelor of Dental Science) degree then you become eligible to apply for the 3 years master’s program or the Master of Dental Surgery course.
- The eligibility criteria involve a Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate. Certificate of 1 year of internship also dental license from state dental council or Dental council of India.
- Candidates can earn a master’s in dental science by opting for a particular branch from the variety of specialized branches the dental field has to offer. The degree provides graduate students in-depth knowledge of the field and proper training in any specialized branch available in dentistry.
- Following is the list of specializations offered by the dental field at the master’s level:
List of Specialized branches offered by the Dental Field at Master’s level:
Most Frequently Asked Question
How can I become dentist after 12th?
There are several steps to follow to become a dentist after the 12th, and those steps are as followed.
The answer to this query already lies in the question and starts as, you have to opt science stream in 11th & 12th as the courses further require knowledge about the subjects like physics, chemistry & biology. Candidates who completed their 12th in commerce or arts field cannot apply for the dental course or any medical course. To become eligible for any degree level medical courses, say a dental course you have to pass 12th from the science stream.
After completing 12th in Science, candidates have to appear and pass the entrance exam of NEET UG the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (Undergraduate) held at the national level annually in India. On the basis of the entrance score students then can apply for the colleges across India.
The basic eligibility criteria needed to apply for a degree level dental course is to pass 12th in the science stream with a minimum aggregate of 50% along with a PCB (Physics, Chemistry & Biology) score.
NEET (UG) Exam:
- Earning a bachelor’s degree in dental science. The degree course would take 5 years to complete including the internship period at the end session of the course.
- At the undergraduate level BDS i.e., Bachelor of Dental Surgery can be a good choice as it provides all the training (theoretical & practical) required to start a dentistry career. Internships play a very important role when starting a career in dentistry.
- After completing BDS you have to go through a 1 year of internship. You can apply in a government hospital as well as in a private hospital for internships.
- After completing the 5 years of degree and internship, candidates need to register themselves in the Dental Council before starting their practice.
- There are dental councils operating at the state level across India also there is a national level council called as Dental Council of India under the central government.
- When the registration is done and acquiring the license you can start practicing dentistry.
- After acquiring the license, you can apply in government hospitals, private hospitals, clinics, etc. or you can open your clinic. These are the traditional steps to follow to become a dentist.
- A BDS graduate can start practicing after earning a degree along with a 12 months internship certificate in their respective field. And acquiring a license of dentistry by registering your name in the DCI i.e., Dental council of India.
- You officially become a dentist with a Dr. tag after all this but, if you desire to do higher studies you can go for a master’s level program. He/she can pursue MDS (Master of Dental surgery) in any specialization or discipline to get better work opportunities and salary hikes.
These are some steps to become a dentist after the 12th.
Dental Courses Duration:
All the dental courses duration mainly depends on the type of dental course or level of dental course you are pursuing. It varies with the type & level of the course and as follows:
- All the available dental courses duration at an undergraduate level like the BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) course in any specialization is of 5 years long, in which 4 years of degree and 1 year of internship.
- The dental courses duration at post-graduation level like the MDS (Master of Dental Surgery) course, in any specialization cost at least 3 years after completing the 5 years degree course.
- Ph.D. level dental courses duration is of 3 to 5 years if you want to pursue it after completing a bachelor’s and master’s degree in dental science after dental courses after 12th.
- Diploma level dental courses duration ranges from 1 year to 3 years and you can pursue these short-term dental courses after 12th
- The dental courses duration at the certificate level ranges from 6 months to 9 months.
Dental courses fees, career scope, eligibility:
The Dental courses fees, career scope & eligibility depend on several factors like; what course you are selecting from the available dental courses after 12th? Have you completed your 12th from science stream? Are you eligible to pursue an advanced level program required in any respective dental field of specialization? And many more.
Eligibility criteria to pursue any dental course varies from certificate level up to doctorate level. The following table shows the eligibility criteria to pursue dental courses at a different level.
|Name of the Course||Eligibility||Duration|
|Certificate Course in Basic Implantology||12th||6 months|
|Certificate Course in Dental and Oral Hygiene||12th||9 months|
|Certificate in Clinical Dental Technique||12th||9 months|
|Certificate Course in Dental Mechanic||12th||9 months|
|Certificate Course in Advanced Implantology||12th||1 year|
|Certificate Course in Dental Hygienist||12th||2 years|
|Diploma in Para Dental Course||12th||1 year|
|Diploma in Dental Material & Oral Hygiene||12th||1 year|
|Diploma in Dental Technician (DDT)||12th||3 years|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
(For every specialization)
|Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)
(For every specialization)
|Bachelor’s degree with certificate of completion of internship.||3 years|
|Ph.D. in Dental Science||Master’s degree with a minimum of 60% aggregate.||3 years to 5 years|
Dental Courses Fees:
Dental courses fees depend on the type of course, you are pursuing and at what level. The fee structure also depends upon the types of colleges you are going to apply to. Because there’s quite a difference between the dental courses’ fees charge by government colleges and private colleges across India.
As the dental courses fees offered by government colleges in India is much lower compared to the dental course fees charged by private Institution & as a result, the competition to get admission in a government dental college is quite tough than a private college. Also, it depends on the quota factor i.e., reservation for SC, ST, OBC categories also there’s 10% reservation under EWS (Economically Weaker Section) in several states.
So, the dental courses fees structure in India including all the above mention factors can be summarised as follows:
- The certificate level dental course fees start from 2500/- a year in government colleges & 20,000 to 2 lakhs per year in private colleges across India.
- Diploma level dental courses fees range from 5000 to 25,000 in government colleges & start from 50,000 up to 5 lakhs in private colleges.
- To pursue a bachelor’s degree in dental science from a government college will cost lesser as the dental course fees offered by government dental colleges range from 4000 to 1 lakh depending upon states across India. Whereas the dental courses fees charge by private institutes and colleges ranges from 1.2 lakhs to 8 lakhs per year, it varies from college to college in different parts of India.
- For a master’s degree program, the dental course fees on average range from 2 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum in government colleges. The government colleges also give stipends to students every year from 35,000 (at the state level) to 70,000 (at the national level). MDS dental course fees in private colleges range from 5 lakhs to 10 lakhs a year but some private institutes charge even 50 lakhs for the full course.
- Dental courses fees range from 15,000 to 16 lakhs to pursue a D. in dental science.
Career scope after dental courses:
- Medical professionals are always in demand for decades past and decades to come. We can say the same thing about the dental professionals and the dental field as being one of the major branches of the medical field. Career Scope after Dental Courses completion hardly goes down, there are plenty of work opportunities available for candidates after completing any dental course followed by an internship. A dental graduate becomes eligible to practice dentistry in his/her respective field in India after completing the degree with an internship and acquiring a license.
- But it can be a smart choice to take up a master’s program as it widens the career scope after dental courses at the bachelor’s level. A Master’s degree opens up better job opportunities & career prospects for dentists to land high-paying jobs.
- The Career scope after dental courses can be found in institutions like government hospitals, private hospitals, clinics, various health centers, dental material & implant manufacturing companies. A skilled dentist or dental specialist can open his/her own clinics & start practicing.
Following are some known sectors a dental graduate or dental professional can work in:
- 4. Graduates who are desiring to pursue a teaching profession in the respective dental field need to sign-up for a doctorate level course in dental science. Because the career scope after dental courses at the Ph.D. level is bright and also opens ups a high salary job option in the teaching field.
Following are some of the institutions you can work at after completing a Ph.D.
Benefits of dental courses:
There are many benefits of dental courses to look for in plenty of aspects. As the demand for dentists never goes down, dental professionals still are in demand. Completing a dental course can be very beneficial;
- The work timing of a dentist isn’t fixed they can adjust their timing according to their schedule.
- One of the highest paying fields in medicine is the dental field or dentistry. After becoming a skilled dental professional, you can have a high salary job.
- Dentists are more likely to found their me time or family time because there is rarely an emergency case that arrives once in a while regarding mouth problems. Compare to other medical professionals.
- Another benefit of dental courses is that Dentistry is not a fixed timing job unless you are working in a strict environment under senior. Not a regular morning to evening job.
- But it does not mean it’s all a laid-back type job, dentist does face different challenges every now and then.
- Another benefit of dental courses is that a dentist develops steady hand gestures & keen eyesight as they have to perform surgeries in tiny areas of the mouth. Increases concentration, also the mind and body connection.
- One more benefit of dental courses is that the demand for the dental profession is rising as people are getting more aware & conscious about oral health.
- The Dental field provides more independent career prospects.
- A dentist can have a much more flexible lifestyle compared to other medical professionals.
- The Dental field provides a wide range of specialization during graduation after graduation, in the research field, manufacturing field, teaching field, etc.
- Provides an option of part-time and full-time work.
These are some benefits of dental courses and there are many more.
Dental diploma courses after 12th:
The Dental field offer several dental diploma courses after 12th for those who are searching for short-term dental courses after 12th. However, some dental diploma courses after 12th are not short-termed there time duration extends up to 3 years maximum.
Following is the list of Dental Diploma Courses after 12th: